The difficulties don’t end there. Let’s say you’ve got your resources and data loaded, one way or another, and you go and test this in your application. You find your web viewer is a sad, empty box. How do you debug this? Making changes and re-testing relies heavily on the use of your clipboard and prayer. And if you do get it working and then want to make changes to your working web viewer, how do you handle that? More clipboard and more prayer. One wrong paste and you’ve lost the working version. You can use a text editor to store your “versions,” but that’s just clunky and confusing.
Carafe: A Free, Open-source Solution
- Click the Deploy button on the bundle detail.
- Go to your solution and paste the script that is now in your clipboard into your script workspace.
- Add a web viewer to your layout.
- In the Configure portion of your imported script, set the $webviewerName variable to the object name of your newly created web viewer.
- Call the script with your data as JSON in the script parameter as described in the comments.
Voila! You now have a web viewer displaying your data. This is where the fun really starts.
Carafe allows versioning, which helps users to try out changes without losing the critical working version. When you want to make changes to your bundle, use the Edit Bundle button, which opens your bundle in CodeSandbox. In CodeSandbox you can do all the testing you want by playing around with the JSON files and seeing the results. When you are satisfied with the changes, the Send to Carafe button will export your changed bundle back into Carafe with a new version number.
Community Collaboration with Carafe
Getting Started in Carafe
I hope you take the time to download Carafe, try it out, and join our community of developers building and sharing bundles. It’s free, easy, and pretty cool. Start using Carafe today.